Holiday Fitness Challenge
Take Control: Tips for eating well during the holidays
The first four weeks focused on recording what you eat and how you exercise. This week we take charge of our food and start planning both breakfast and lunch. You get bonus points for planning breakfast and lunch that properly fuel your body (veggies and meat, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch, no sugar.)
The first step is to plan breakfast and lunch for everyday next Monday-Sunday. Write it down. Ideally you’ll set breakfast and lunch on autopilot and eat THE SAME THING EVERY DAY. The CrossFit Journal article Food as Fuel has a number of healthy suggestions.
Last Week’s Prizes:
The top two scores for week 4 will win customizable JumpNRope R1.X Speed Ropes Report scores by Tuesday to compete.
This Week’s Challenges
Download the score sheet: Jump-start the New Year Challenge Log (Week 5)
The top two scores for last week (week 4) will win a custom JumpNRope R1.X Speed Rope
Daily Points Changes from last week
No changes to the amount of sleep and mobility each day. Last week we increased to:
- Eat a recovery meal (shakes or chocolate milk count) within 30 minutes of each WOD +3 points
- Increase daily sleep to 7.5 hours. Naps do count! +5 daily
- Increase Mobility WOD to 10 minutes per day. +5 daily
- Plan your breakfast and lunch. Write down this weekend what you’ll eat for breakfast and lunch for the entire week.
- Learn to eat well mindlessly. Watch Brian Wansink’s TED talk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ogsmh_czeY
- Time warp your dishes. Find and start using a smaller set of dinner plates (10 inch diameter or less.)
- Share the love. Share 3 lunch recipes that you love. Email the recipes to Turbo (email@example.com)
To make it easy, just watch the entire talk for bonus points!
Score Sheet explanation
Score sheet Page 1:
- Keep track of your Crossfit WODs. You get 1 point for each one you do. Ditto for your power WODs. We expect you to do at least 3 of each in a week but ideally you will do 5 of each. Add up your total exercise points and record.
Bonus Point Challenges
- When your week is over add up all the points from all the pages and record them here.
Score Sheet Page 2:
Weighing and Measuring Yourself
- The scale in the gym is the official weigh-in scale
- Coaches are available to help with tape measurements. Measuring tapes are on the bookshelf in the office.
- This will allow you to see your improvements when you measure again in January. Record your findings on this page.
- Also, Peak Health and Fitness at the U of U is running a 2 for 1 special on body composition testing through December 21st. See bulletin for more information.
- Benchmark Workout
- Jackie is the baseline workout for this Challenge. If you miss it on Monday be sure to make it up sometime during this first week.
- None of the numbers on this page get put into the points equation. Doing the work on this page will help you earn your +10 bonus points for keeping a perfect record and your CrossFit WOD points.
Score Sheet Page 3: Use this page to score each day of the week
- Food as Fuel. Eat Vegetables and Meat, Nuts and Seeds, some Fruit, little Starch, no Sugar. In that order. This week we just want to write it all down. Try to get quantities on there. If you can’t get exact measurements don’t stress out too much. You could say for example: a big handful, a fistful, the size of a dice, the size of my thumb, etc. Do not worry about eating too much or too little, just write it all down.
- Myfitnesspal.com is an excellent tool for recording your food on your phone
Daily Points for food:
- If you meet the CrossFit Food as Fuel guidelines then you get a point for the day.
- If you record everything you ate you get 2 points for the day.
- If less than 5 hours passes before your next snack or meal you get a point for the day.
- Drink half your body weight in OZ of water and get a point for the day.
- If you don’t eat anything after dinner (Post WOD fuel is OK) you get a point for the day.
- Get at least 7.5 hours of sleep and give yourself a pointeroosky
- Do more than 1 minutes of Mobility wods a day and give yourself a point